Welcome to my world!

Backyard Birding in the Rio Grande Valley of South Texas:
Surrounded by great birding destinations, our favorite patch is still the backyard (or the front), where we've seen more than 270 species of birds. Sit awhile, and watch the river and yard with us!




Sunday, May 1, 2011

Ducks in a Row


I'm not particularly organized and seldom pay attention to detail, being a big-picture type of person--but no one can say I don't have my ducks in a row!

I know I said I'd get photos posted of  those tanagers and grosbeaks and buntings (oh, my!), but these Black-bellied Whistling Ducks are just too cute to not post them first.  Every evening they line up on the deck above our boat lift, waiting for a neighbor to put out their seed, whistling in their  Black-bellied-Whistling-Duck way.  I think they are adorable.  They seem to be paired up now and may be looking for nesting sites again in neighborhood washingtonian palms.

 I meant to put up a duck box for them this year but I just never got that done.  I did buy a  new screech-owl box, though, and it's occupied, though no sign yet of hatchlings.  And this evening a Brown-crested Flycatcher fluttered around a new birdhouse in the backyard. So that's two new avian houses I managed to to put up in time for this spring.

I'll keep reporting on our whistling duck activities as the season goes on and I get myself better organized.  That is, when I get my ducks in a row.

1 comment:

FAB said...

FABulous formation. Do they all whistle together?